Warning: This is a very long post with tons of detail and pictures, because these are all the things I want to remember.
Camping
Our ward camping trip was in peril due to heavy rains, so Thursday night instead of packing up for the adventure, we planned an alternate indoor camping activity at our friends house. However, when I woke up the next morning the clear post-rainy skies in the fresh morning air were too much to resist. The kids and I just wanted to linger outside in the front yard walking up and down the damp sidewalk with our bare feet. I called Tyler at work and said, "We have to go! If we get soaked it'll be all my fault." Of course somehow I got locked out of the house with the kids while making the phone call, but luckily the back kitchen window was open so I could lift Rachel through and she saved us all. I started packing like a crazy person. Not only for the camp out, but I had to have Disneyland gear ready too. We had previously planned to do a little inventory for Tyler's work in two offices on the way up, so it was good that the trip was back on. Tyler came home at noon and we headed out. The girls and I helped with inventory at the first office and circumstances developed that at the second office there would be no one to let us in. We had a yummy late lunch at In 'n Out Burger. I couldn't believe the cheeseburgers were only $2. The way everyone talks about that place I'd expected to splurge $5 each. I think that is only the second hamburger the kids have ever eaten, and the only ate out the beef patty!
On to camping...it was pouring rain when we arrived. Luckily the girls had brought their umbrellas and we had well prepared activities committee ward members who brought big umbrella tents for everyone to congregate under.
We waited to set up our tent to see if it would stop raining. Tyler wanted to skip the tent and sleep in the car, but what is the fun of camping without the tent!? Luckily after roasting our hot dogs and marshmallows the rain let up. We hurried to get our tent up just as the last bit of twilight disappeared.
That night was a dry one, many tents leaked, but luckily ours didn't. We snuggled in for the night and Adam was afraid of the tent. He didn't like the feel of the all pillowy sleeping bag terrain where he couldn't get around and he did not like being restrained by the cozy sleeping bag around him. He kept wiggling out of my bag and finding a little spot next to me on the tent floor with his face against the side of the tent. He pulled my pillow over to lay on and settled down for the night. I was a little worried about his face smothering and that he'd freeze, but he wasn't screaming! We all got well enough camping sleep, really you can never expect great sleep on a camp out.
The next morning we were up with the sun, and the rain. We put bread on our roasters to make toast to go with our strawberries, apples, and of course marshmallows. The gear and tents were promptly packed and ready to go as soon as the treasure hunt for the kids was over. After all we had a 3 hour drive home coming and needed to shower and pack for Disneyland as fast as possible.
The unpacking and packing and showering once we got home was crazy, very messy, but successful. We took not quite 2 hours to bathe, eat, pack, and do a load of the campfire laundry so it wouldn't stink up the house while we were gone. The tent was drying on Ty's car in the garage along with the sleeping bags airing out. Light speed ahead to Auntaweesa's!
Aunt Luise and Uncle Van are always so much fun. We had a wonderful time being with them. Saturday night after we got the kids to sleep we watched the History channel special about the ten commandments and the debate of whether or not they are applicable in our day. Ha ha, we found it very interesting that some consider morals a thing of the past. My favorite part was the man who said, "You can't expect people not to covet in our capitalist world. We rely on it for marketing and sales! Coveting is what makes America great!"
Sunday we attended the singles ward that Aunt Luise and Uncle Van serve in. We stick out pretty bad there, hopefully they were looking at us green with envy and not because they were annoyed by noisy kids.
After church Tyler and I went for a drive to find Chapman University. We were hoping for a little inspiration, maybe seeing it would help us know that is where we are supposed to go for Law School. Oh, it was nice, but we still don't know. We both have an open mind and feel like it would be fun to have a new adventure and go there, but it would be so convenient and just as wonderful to stay right where we are.
Uncle Van and Tyler took the girls out to visit Max and Babe at the stables to feed them carrots and check Max's foot. We didn't ride, but we figured they could visit the sick and the afflicted on the Sabbath. It really buoyed Max's spirits. Aunt Luise and I were able to put Adam to bed and have a nice chat, complementing ourselves on what good Mothers we were, hee-hee.
Monday it was off to California Adventure! I woke up early and excited. Since I couldn't sleep I got ready and made a big breakfast for everyone. While in the kitchen cooking I left a cabinet door open and ended up hitting my head on its corner after bending over to pick up some Cheerios for Adam who I had sitting in the high chair while I made the pancakes. It hurt but I didn't realize how bad it was until we were in the car an hour later. It was throbbing and I reached up to feel the big goose egg. Blood. It had been bleeding all that time...and into my hair, nasty! I felt light headed and icky, but there was no time for that, we were off to Disneyland!
First ride of the day, always the tram. When I stood up to get off I was shocked to hit my head on the roof, ow! More blood.
The first official ride was Toy Story Mania. The last bit of the ride when they spun us around to come back to the loading area, bonk. My head hit the side of the seat, ow again. Luckily that was the last hit and it did stop bleeding eventually. Then we rode dolphins on King Triton's Carousel, had lunch at the Fisherman's Wharf. The girls enjoyed this make your own music percussion area.
I've never noticed these cows before. The sign by them says COWlifornia. It made me think of Lorene.
On to Bug's Land. Rachel says it feels like she shrinks into a tiny bug, and she is right. The detail is amazing. You walk through a cereal box of Cowboy Crunchies, the only cereal sugar coated and dipped in chocolate, and your small! Little No. 2 pencils are stuck into the ground for low lighting and fireflies are perched on straws and sticks for higher lighting. They even call you bugs on every ride.
Flick's Flyers
Francis' Lady Bug Boogie
Tuck and Roll Bumper Cars
Adam wasn't tall enough to ride, but I noticed so many more adorable details as we sat. This may be the most clever or just my most favorite area. The tent is a huge umbrella being supported by straws around the outside. There are Q-tip trapezes, make-up compact mirrors, crayon arrow signs showing which way to go, best of all these popsicle stick benches that are colorfully "stained" from whatever flavor popsicle they used to be.
This time I realized that the lightning bugs that light it up at night are holding onto suckers, like the kind I got from the bank when I was a kid, and the bumper car ring is supposed to be made out of a belt. Clever!
This was pretty much Adam's face on every ride. It would seem he is hard to impress, but there is a lot of stimulation to take in.
He was eyeing that cupcake.
The girls love the watermelon that splashes "juice" on them, you can see it over to the side.
We were lucky that it was a holiday because they were doing the Aladdin show. So good! The girls know it so well and have their favorite parts they crack up at. I knew they'd love it, but I didn't know Adam would be so impressed. He sat in a chair for the whole hour clapping, ooh-ing, and ahh-ing.
Time to visit Monstropolis.
Luckily no one called the CDA!
Adam didn't want to be eaten.
These rules from the MTA (Monstropolis Transit Authority) were so funny. You have to click on this picture and read them! I like that you don't have to pay for extra heads, but you do have to pay for extra bodies.
Time to rehydrate and head to Bear River.
Adam and Rachel love to play at the Brother Bear park while Sarah and Dad get soaked. Adam loved swinging his arms roaming whereever he pleased.
These sunglasses always tempt me.
After Bear River it was time for Soarin' Over California. This time I rode with the girls first and Tyler went after with the rider switch pass and took Rachel with him, you can bring one guest with you. Sarah, Adam and I had snacks and bought a few magnets. Last time I searched everywhere for a "Disneyland" word magnet, but they were all out. I was so happy they had them now.
They are going to be building an entire Cars area. I'm sure it will be amazing.
We visited the Beast's Library to see what Disney character we are most like and for some reason Tyler is always Cogsworth. This time I was Ariel, Sarah was Lady from Lady and the Tramp, Rachel was Tinkerbell, Adam was Mushu. Then Ursula stole our voices to dub over Disney clips. We love to sing the Hakuna Matata song and Bare Necessities.
The shock of the night. Sarah wanted to go on Tower of Terror with Dad! She did not like it and does not plan to go again for a long time, but is very proud of herself. She was trembling for the next 30 minutes.
Adam fell asleep on Rachel as we waited. Yeah! That power nap meant we could go do a few rides at Disneyland.
We rode Autopia Cars and Small World both twice. As we were riding Small World the fireworks show started. They project movie scenes from rides onto its facade during the show. We had front seats!
After those we went to a little shop by the Tiki Room to buy some pillows for Tiffany, Ty's sister, and we headed home for a very late dinner.
The next morning we were so tired. Adam was all over at Aunt Luise's. There are so many fun things to see, touch, break...
Time to pack up the car because we would be leaving straight from Disneyland to make the long drive home. We sadly waved goodbye, to our fun hosts.
Sarah and I went on Star Tours while the others went on Buzz Lightyear.
Eating lunch at Tomorrowland Terrace in front of the Matterhorn. I've been craving that cheeseburger for months and it did not disappoint!
We rode Buzz again, altogether with Fast Passes this time, and had a long pit stop at the bathrooms under Space Mountain to get all ready for Fantasy land.
We passed by the new Pixie Hollow, but didn't wait in line to meet Tink, and passed Snow White as she sang us her wishing song, then went on her ride. We rode not because we like it, but because it is a short line, as is always the case. Who likes Snow White anyways? Scary! Haven't we all had those nightmares of the witch turning around trying to feed us that apple! Rachel used Adams blanket over her eyes for comfort.
We made it through just fine.
The Carousel is our faithful "cheer up Rachel" ride.
Her horse looked a little psycho, maybe it had horse flu?
This made me think of Fran.
Adam's first time to ride alone, he wasn't quite sure about it.
We tried to get that sword again. No luck!
Dumbo! The only one I insisted on that I've been waiting for since last time! I got some great shots in the air.
On to Alice!
Everyone's favorite flower!
My favorite part of the ride. I love the little mushroom with the storybook, the rabbit prints, the catarpillars abondoned shoes and pipe, getting a glimpse of Small World, Teacups, Matterhorn, the Storyboats lighthouse, the bustling crowd, ahhh.
I have to mention here that we passed the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique where little girls were being pampered with make-up and sparkly hairspray and all sorts of goo for about a million dollars. Wow! I'm glad my girls get enough of that at home not to beg for it.
Time for Pirates
and Haunted Mansion.
Everyone snuggled into Dad for protection.
Adam saying, "Dad why do I have to come on these scary rides?"
Next it was to Critter Country for Splash Mountain, the last ride of all.
"Ahh. I finally get to relax with my blanket and eat my Cheerios."
Time to head home. The last walk down Main St USA. We had tear ourselves away before closing time so we could get started on our drive. (We still didn't make it home till 3 am! Once again Tyler slept and I drove the last 2 hours)
Then the Big Surprise
Mom appeared at the tram with a big package too big to hide.
We've been wanting this castle for quite some time. It cost a pretty penny, or rather lots of them, but I just had to. The girls aren't just getting this souvenier, they have to earn it! (They have been so sweet and helpful unpacking, doing laundry, and keeping their toys picked up, my house has never been so clean!) Tyler teases me how I buy toys for me....well maybe its true! I've been wanting it for a long time, for me and my girls. Don't you want to play with it? Here is a better look.


Aunt Luise says when the kids are grown and gone I'll be glad I did it when I had the chance... I already am.
So that was our wonderful, crazy, vacation-packed Memorial Day weekend. Hope you had a great one too!
THE END
2 comments:
Wow! I was exhausted just reading all of this...and jealous! It was a year ago that we were at Disneyland and I wish we could go again. Thanks for letting us share in your memories!
What a great job we did of instilling in our daughters a love for the magic of Disneyland!! Sorry husbands, but you all make such good Handsome Princes. It was so fun to relive the magic through the eyes of the Palmer Family--all such cuties. Thanks to Tyler for sharing this fun experience with your adorable family. Much love - Aloha, Grandma Cole
Post a Comment