Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Beef


This week was very difficult to get much school in. We spent our Monday and Tuesday finishing up Christmas shopping, making packages to send out, and then finally sending them. It was great to get everything off! Now I can sit back and enjoy the season.

After injuring himself in last year's ward Turkey Bowl, Tyler decided he is too old to play ward football, especially at 7 am. I was so glad I could spend this year's Thanksgiving morning preparing food beside him and working together. Last year was a not enjoyable. I was hobbling around icing his fingers and ankle, trying to prepare our food, taking care of the very excited children, and trying to sit down enough to keep my contractions under control. After all, none of that counts as bedrest!

This year, in contrast, was very nice. We had a wonderful little meal together, set up the Christmas tree, listened to Jenny's Christmas Piano CD and watched Frosty. It was so relaxing not having anywhere to be but here in our own little paradise.


Rachel lovingly cut little tiny bites of her Turkey and savored every bite. She turned to me and said, "Mom, I love this Thanksgiving Beef! Its so delicious!"
We all felt a little bad for Adam. He ended up napping during the feast. We felt we were betraying him. Now that he LOVES food, this is his kind of Holiday! At least he joined us for leftovers at dinner where we discovered he loves Turkey! Big surprise. Everyone ate well. We were smart this year to plan our feast for lunch with nap time for everyone after, except Adam, who of course woke up just in time for naps. Tyler and Adam ended playing and reading together while the girls slept. For dinner we were still stuffed, so pie and ice cream were the perfect bedtime snack to enjoy as we looked at our beautiful, shining Christmas tree.

The weekend continued with bike riding and games, and a Saturday at the Mesa temple. Tyler and I took turns doing initiatories and taking the kids to explore the nativity scenes. During Tyler's temple turn I took the kids to the Joseph Smith movie. They were very touched at Joseph's many trials and sorrows, especially losing so many of his children. This trial strikes close to our hearts as we worried and prayed for Adam's health and development all last year and finally have been enjoying him this year. Sarah kept wanting to hold Adam, feeling so full of love for him and grateful that he survived. After Liberty Jail Joseph says, "we suffered much, but it was not in vain, our hearts were made more tender." I feel the same is true regarding our trials. I'm glad to see my children, young as they are, were strengthened and made more tender by the trials we've endured as a family.


After our temple trip we had a pajama party with our neighbor Lauren and her dad Mike. We invited them over to watch Rudolph, which she had never seen! The three girls had a great time snuggled up in blankets together on the floor trying to keep their popcorn safe from little Adam. We made him his own little bowl with no butter or salt, which he loved and spilled many times. Lauren got bored with the movie after a while and asked if she could play with the nativity puppets from Cheryl that I keep under the tree. I took the opportunity to act out with her the nativity story, which she had never heard before. It was hard for her to understand why the Baby Jesus was such an important baby, not ever having heard of him before. She was a little confused when I told her this was the whole reason we celebrate Christmas. How much actual understanding she came away with is probably very little, but I feel at times like these that we are neighbors for a reason. She needs a kind motherly figure in her life. Though I can't be her mother, I can show her love, and give her whatever teaching moments I can see.

Tonight, Sunday, they were here again and we were talking theology and politics with Mike, as usual, he is a very smart and upstanding young man. Not many 21 year old men would have taken full custody and responsibility for a baby and put themselves through school to provide for her. He does not believe in organized religion and doesn't know if he believes in God. I'm sure you have friends that you wish you could play Scrooge with and take them on a tour of the life they could have if they embraced the gospel. I wish I could show him. I guess I feel like Joseph Smith said in the movie we watched yesterday, "you're not content to bless just your family, but eager to bless the whole human race."

I am loving the nightly tradition of singing around the lit tree in the dark this year. My kids love it too and keep asking for "Polos." They mean Solos. They love to break up the song and take solos. I love hearing Tyler's voice. He has a warm, clear, manly, yet humble tenor voice. I love hearing him sing accompanied by the pure white voices of little children testifying of the Savior. It brings so much joy to my heart.



There is so much to be thankful for this year. I am so grateful for Rachel's sweet prayers for Adam to like new foods. He is much happier and active now that he is eating well. Rachel has also begun praying for "mom's back to not hurt so much." This request is due to the once a week occurrence of mom falling to the ground with a pinched nerve almost dropping Adam and having to lay on the floor for a while in pain while the kids take over. Over the past month my back has had less and less episodes. The prayers of children with great, yet simple, faith are heard and answered. I'm grateful for Sarah's love of the scriptures and her enthusiasm for learning. I'm grateful for a husband doing all he can to find his mission in life and fulfill it. I am grateful for my safe home where I can raise my children and teach them the truths of the gospel and secular knowledge. I am thankful for Joseph Smith and his many sacrifices and trials. I am thankful for all my own trials through which I have learned much. I am thankful for my faith wherein I find joy and peace. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: