Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fast Sunday

The girls ask me from time to time, "Mom, am I righteous?" This question tugs at my heart strings. I'm in awe, these precious little spirits asking me if they are righteous? I know they are excitedly preparing for the second coming of Christ and are looking and waiting anxiously for the day, night, and day with no darkness. I'm sure they want to know where they stand. Maybe they worry that the time out they got this week, the disagreement they had with their sister, or the zucchini they didn't eat enough of at dinner disqualified them from being worthy to be in His presence. When they ask this question I worry am I not praising them enough or am I punishing too much. I hope I can keep a good balance.

But as I have had to answer this tender question this week I found myself bearing testimony to my children of the Atonement. I taught them the reality of repentance and beautiful, complete forgiveness. After they pray for forgiveness, the Lord forgives and remembers their indisgression no more. They were so happy to learn that its like it never even happened! I am thankful that my pure little ones are having opportunities to draw closer to their Saviour and practice using the Atonement now, before the stakes are high. I hope they can learn to accept his forgiveness and forgive themselves now, so later in life they don't carry needless guilt and pain that many of us do. I am so thankful for my Saviour and the many times I have been forgiven. What a blessing to have this knowledge and to be able to give this gift to my children.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Man, my kids just ask me for a fruit snack!

Diane

Brett and Meredith said...

What sweet girls. They look so darling all dressed up with matching dolls,too! They always say the cutest and sweetest things. You are a great Mom, too, and turned it into a wonderful teaching moment.