Saturday, October 30, 2010

August and September Fly By

I came back from Disneyland full of ambitions and projects to do during this school year. I sorted, dejunked, and cleaned cupboards and closets. I even taped off the bathroom to paint the trim. I did 2 feet and the project is still taped off at a standstill 4 months later, maybe I should consider taking the tape off now. I tried to slow down and remember to make time for my kids and the fun stuff, like baking...

Caught "red hot handed." The "please can I eat this candy?" face, and "if I do what will Mom do?"


Hmm. She let me put them on my cupcake. Adam is learning that he getting permission first makes him happy.


Sarah was invited for a fun evening of learning to make frosting from scratch with my very talented and dear friend Mandy. Rachel, Adam, and I made ice cream cupcakes. They always look so cute on the ice cream cone box so we just had to try making some. Rachel wanted to take some normal cupcakes over to her friend Lea's house. They had just had a new baby and we got to hold him, so precious!


The frosting Sarah helped make was for a beautiful cake also made from scratch by Mandy then decorated and brought over by the Beehives for the Bishop. See I told you she was talented. It looked so good Adam couldn't wait.


Our friends Meg, Peter, Sarah, and William came over to play. I was worried 7 kids might cause a ruckus, but I was pleasantly surprised that they all played so sweetly and calmly. Excuse the self dressed toddler, some days it just isn't worth the tears, after all he is modest. It's too much to ask that he play sweetly and match!


Playing at the splash pad. We were trying to meet up with a homeschool group, but we were the only ones to show up, but we had a great time anyway.


This is a shot of applying what we learned from family night (or morning in our case.) We talked about Christ serving the apostles by washing their feet and the example he set by serving so humbly and lovingly.


A treasured moment with Daddy. Adam usually instigates this behaviour with a well said word or two, "Tackle Me!" Soon everyone joins in.


Our walk n' ride, it feels so good to exercise outside and feel the sun.


I know that look, as the youngest I know you often feel left behind. Adam has started saying, "Wait for me!"


Soccer season starts. Here we are doing drills for PE. It has been nice variety from the walk and ride. Especially since Adam realized its more fun to ride his scooter that ride in the stroller. Its only a problem when his legs get tired before we get home and he wants to stand on the scooter while I stoop over to pull him all the way back, not good for me. Soccer is great because they each have their own ball, run at their own speed, Adam doesn't get left behind, and Mom doesn't pull him home.



These next few are very "real life" moments. Most of these pictures weren't taken by me as September started going way too fast and furious with Dad back in school and Sarah starting soccer.

Adam gets smothered.


Mom falls asleep, Adam keeps her company.


2 year old has a mini melt down. He doesn't have many of these, and he is so good, but I want to remember that they did happen.


"Sleeping in"


Kids being kids. Rachel loving her new pink soccer ball. Adam in the Mickey shirt, which he wants to wear a lot lately since our trip to the "Mickey Temple."


Playing with Lauren, it's nice to see Adam being included.


Adam learns to put on red shorts.


Mommy so proud.


Adam so proud.


Sister McClellan offered to make Halloween costumes for the girls. Sweet! She had them draw a picture of what they wanted and she made it.


Adam nursery teacher Kirsti tries to lure him into nursery someday by bringing him a Chocolate Gnoche cake. For now he is too happy to be with Daddy to consider giving up that special Daddy time for nursery, can you blame him?


Daddy gives great family morning lessons.


Acting out following the Good Shepherd.


Swimming, we have to enjoy the last nice days of good swimming season before it gets too cold.


Look who got new goggles. He wanted them on during a bit of sacrament meeting once, but they were too irreverent (we saw the Bishopric giggling) so we had to take them off and just hold them. Oops.


He loves them so much he even sleeps with them.


This was a great Saturday. The girls played with fairies, they are so into Fawn and Silvermist.


Tyler took a study break in the morning to take Adam to the store and buy him a long promised football and watched all of 5 minutes of online football clips to celebrate football season starting, and of course played a little "tackle me" around the table. You can see the book waiting for his return.


We took an evening break after a quick dinner to go play tennis for an hour as a family. The kids scootered around and played with the balls while Ty and I played, then each had a little private lesson with Dad. It was the most fun! Tyler and I had a date playing tennis with our friends Chad and Jen just after we met. I love to remember that night and the fun time we had, now we have our little buddies to play too.


Isn't it crazy how we zone out when a movie turns on? They all look so serious and they're probably just watching Kermit the Frog sing in the swamp on Muppet Movie.


The girls have been working on a duet. Isn't it so fun to play with somebody?


We had an eventful Monday evening where I fainted. My friend Mandy took me to urgent care, where it was determined I had high billirubin and wondered if I have been drinking to much, ha, not likely the problem. The next morning we were supposed to check in at the hospital for more tests to check liver and kidney functions, and I checked out fine. Just a fluke I guess.


One of Sarah's soccer games. I love how Adam's ball is in mid-air.


Run, Sarah, Run! Her asthma made her tire easily until she started taking her inhaler before the games. It helped so much, I'll have to remember that if we sign up again.


Mom and Dad's visit was so nice. Their condo was far away and I wanted to see them more, but I was grateful for every second I got. The first day we were having a great time swimming, until Adam had an allergic reaction to Mom's sunscreen. I had to rush him to the Walgreen's I had luckily seen on my way to their condo to buy some medications. Back at their condo he rested on their bed and watched tv and almost fell asleep. The others came up to the apartment for lunch and our visit for that day concluded.



The next day my parents "kidnapped" the girls. My Mom's birthday was the next day and she wanted to celebrate with a sleepover. Now they are 9 and almost 7, but this was our first overnight apart from each other ever. They went and bought the game Clue, played it a million times, did a puzzle, swam,



...and of course Grandpa told them a great bedtime story, as always legendary.



In the morning the had mini donuts with candles.


While the girls were away Adam and I had a playdate and a special dinner with his friend Nixon and his Mom Susan. We also got to go on a stroller ride because we didn't have to teach school, and on our stroller ride we met a new friend, Abby and her mom Gabby. A neighbor came by to hand-me-down a little flotation wet suit which Adam insisted on napping with, hey why not?


That evening they brought back my babies and we all celebrated with cake and ice cream.




Bedtime routine got a little crazy after all that sugar. Adam tried to escape from jammies on his jumpy ball,


then wanted to serenade Grandma with a birthday song.


The next day with Mom and Dad was our last. The kids had fun reading to Grandpa.


We relaxed and watched movies, Toothfairy and The Great Fairy Rescue. Mom and I went to get haircuts and then we all went out to dinner at Olive Garden.


Sleepy boy snuggling Daddy


Then they left us with great memories...and the leftover chocolate cake.