Sunday, March 31, 2013

BBQ's Birthdays and Burrs

March started out with our annual stake bbq. It is always a fun opportunity to get out with friends. 
I was in charge of our ward getting 150 dozen cookies to the stake bbq. I'm starting to feel my lot in life will always be cookies.
Adam finally found the boots he was looking for, and dressed himself in stripes and plaid to wear them with. He was trying to run away from the camera.
Sarah has been working on her stories in all her spare time. She gets sucked in and becomes oblivious to the rest of the world.
She surprised me one day when I found her wearing my shirt and my belt. I'm glad she wants to be like me. 
Rachel had exciting, life changing news. We thought we should check her eyesight because Grandma Cole noticed she wouldn't come sit on the couch with us during movie night and Rachel said she couldn't see if she did. We found out her vision is 20/400.
So she got glasses, which she loves because now she can see the world, and can snuggle on the couch with us at movie night and still see the movie. Mostly she notices she can textures. She could always see shapes and colors, but now she can see so much more.  As the doctor said, "there is a whole lot of the world that she has been missing."
March 9th we had Adam's birthday party, his first time to invite friends. We started off with balloon relays.
Then played fruit basket.
Then made our fruit-kabobs.
During present opening we gave each kid a turn to blast through the boxes. After seeing his cousins do this he had to have it at his party!  We practiced a lot in the days before the party.  
They were so excited they started ripping open the present they brought, throwing it to Adam, and running over for demolition.  It wasn't the neat and orderly present opening experience I was expecting, but everyone had a great time. 
The blue curtains, by the way, are not a new style I'm trying to come up with, they were all ironed and waiting for me to take them to my friend. I just had no where else to keep them unwrinkled so I hung them on the extra bar of my double curtain rod.
These were the thank you cards we prepared in advance.  They said: Dear ____ , Thank you for the ______. Thanks for coming to my party. ADAM. He wrote his name on all 16 of them and taped on the fruit snacks.  12 kids came, and Rachel helped fill in the blanks as the box crashing present opening chaos unfolded. It was a blast.
Taking down the streamers and being silly.
Monday morning, the 11th, was the real birthday. We celebrated in the morning so that Adam could enjoy his toys all day rather than wait and beg me all day for them only to open them right before bed. Morning is best. We had French toast, his favorite.
Time to open presents, and yes I know Adam is wearing his soccer shirt inside out and backwards. Oh well.
He opened his real tool box from the Cole's.
Fire truck from sisters.
Legos from Mom and Dad.
Nerf gun from Palmers.
He spent hours shredding the box everything I got online was shipped in.
That night Grandma and Grandpa happened to call right as we sang.  Adam chose brownies instead of cake. We were so glad Dad had spring break so he could be with us for dinner.
Working on the Lego house.
Sarah finished her math book and got to do our tradition of throwing the workbook.
I don't know why I keep taking breakfast pictures. Maybe I'm proud of myself for actually making breakfasts every morning, maybe it's because this is our big family togetherness moment each day.
This particular day I did go above and beyond by making whip cream and strawberries for the waffles.
This is Wednesday, when Adam and I go on our date.  We drop the girls off at activity days and have our date at the library before picking them up again.  The one drawback of homeschooling everyone is that no one gets much alone time with me, so we cherish these special moments.
We did a birdfeeder project, not really because we want to feed birds, but because the kids wanted to make something. We found the project at the end of the library book we were reading and made it. No birds came, but one of the lizards that lives on the back fence licked the dried apricots. They eventually just go thrown away, but it was fun to do. 
Ty went with his friend Bo to a golf tournament and won $25 getting closest to the hole of all the contestants.
We were so proud of him.
Adam has become fond of Tyler's old high school backpack, which is big for him, but fits his library books much better than his other pack.
I helped some friends rearrange their houses. One friend's house is still under construction, so we made a dressing room so the kids can have a little more privacy.
All the kids sleep cascade style so no one falls out, but they needed a separate changing area.
Cheryl and the Burrs arrived in town. We met them at the national racquetball tournament at ASU.  Adam bringing Snickers and Green Blankie to ASU, 
 with his Mommy....let's hope if he ever comes here as a student he'll leave some of these things behind. 
 
Adam getting just what he expects from a Burr visit. 
Cole gearing up for his next match.
 We spent the day there supporting him, and playing cards.
At home our second day older kids played Monopoly while Aunt Cheryl read monster books to Adam. 
Aunt Cheryl reading Rachel stories. 
Adam telling Aunt Cheryl stories, he was so happy to get all her attention. Note, she spiked his hair just like Cory's.
 
Matching braids can only mean Aunt Cheryl did everyone's hair. 
Aunt Cheryl teaching the kids a new game. 
Having muffins.
Snuggling up for a movie, Rachel loves Uncle Rob. 
Reading scriptures
Sleeping arrangements.
Playing games.
 
Watching family ties.
 Sisters, who didn't sleep a wink. 
Sad to be parting. 
But happy to be cousins.
6 am Sunday morning...Goodbye special cousins, aunt and uncle... 
but they came back 10 minutes later to get ice packs and use the bathroom, then they were really gone.
Cool after-bath hair little stud. 
After church we all rested and Mom napped. Playing so much is hard work!
Doing errands that were neglected while we vacationed...getting a new A string for Sarah, new fingerboard tape for Rachel, Teacher's book for Sarah's new level, bank deposit, and groceries.
Friday morning before Easter Ty and I got up at 4 am and went to the temple.  I woke up to Madonna's Borderline song and was jammin' out all morning. Tyler kept humming hymns, finally he said, "Can you tell I'm trying to get a new song stuck in your head?" I'm sure he was enjoying the entertainment I was providing, but we did need to get into a more spiritual mode.
  What a blessing my wonderful husband is to me.
We saw this duck in the pond as we came out of the temple.  The grounds worker says he comes every year at this time and guards his family from the pond while his wife sits on their eggs nearby.
After I got back it was time for the egg hunt at the park with ward friends. 
We celebrated with baskets Saturday morning. 
Kids so excited to come down.
Adam was thrilled he got a little safe with a key, he wanted something with a key if his own so bad.
Searching for eggs. Santa brought a vacuum whose canister was cracked, so the Easter Bunny tried this time. 
Still searching.
 
Everyone loved the gifts Grandma & Grandpa Cole sent.
Adam insists on wearing these giant shirts, because he wants to match Dad.  I'm glad he has such a great Dad who shares with him and who gives him such a great role model. He wants to be just like Daddy, and I can't think of anything that would please me more.
 
After our Easter morning we were invited to Brunch at the Abegg's.  It was so fun to eat, relax, and talk with good friends.  Without family nearby it really is nice to have good friends to celebrate with.
Saturday night while we were watching Muppet Movie our friends came to bring us cookies. Adam had a cute frosting face. Wakka wakka wakka. 
Easter Sunday Adam did the temple puzzle from the Cole's all by himself.
Sarah found a left behind egg.
 We played the Farming Game from Washington that our friends gave us. Thanks! We got to talk to our grandparents too.
French toast during family night on Monday morning.
With plenty of powdered sugar. Now that is a sweet 5 year old boy! 

No comments: