Thursday, February 25, 2010


There are still pieces of December and January I want to remember, so I'm taking a minute to do so now before time gets away from me altogether. Our lives have changed so much over these past couple months. With Tyler taking on Bishop duties our family's dynamic has changed yet again.

My record of Stake Conference:

"Today was the day. Yesterday I felt nervous, kind of excited like I'm going to Disneyland butterflies nervous. The evening session of stake conference was great and just what I needed. Today was good. As Tyler stood to be sustained I felt in slow motion watching hands raise and people look and it was silent. I guess I half expected oohs and ahhs or gasps of disbelief, but none of that. It was dead silent, sweet, and I wished I could raise my hand higher to show how much I want to support this wonderful man that I love so much. I looked up at him and saw him stand awkwardly, like a little boy, hands at his sides waiting for approval and with a jittery jaw (his jaw muscle twitches when he is close to tears or feeling the spirit or feeling especially solemn) he raised his own hand along with us. It was very solemn and a special moment to see and be down at his side for where no one could see me. Adam lifted his arm too, all on his own, which he has never done before that I know of.

I feel very well received many people have said "I knew it would be you." That makes me feel very supported and not like we’re such a shock to people. The ordinations were difficult because of Adam, so I had to leave. At the end of the meeting (just the setting apart meeting not all of stake conference) they came looking for me. Tyler had given his testimony and they wanted me to end the meeting with mine. I felt like I was back in Korea...we'd like you to bear your testimony right now and in Korean! At least today it was in English. Tyler said I looked like such a little girl. "Just cute little Debi," he said. I think its funny how we both thought each other looked like a little kid as we stood before others, humbled, open to scrutiny and openly willing to serve and bear all. Maybe that is a little what Christ means by being child like."

My sweet kids. I love them so much and they have been a great support to me.

Sarah is so perpetually cheerful and positive. Nothing can get this girl down. She brings a ray of sunshine with her into every room.


Rachel is a nurturing, precious little spirit so sensitive to the needs of others. She is the first to jump up and "give service" when she sees an opportunity, she watches over Adam, calms his little woes, and talks to him so sweetly. She is growing up, not fast enough to catch up with her sister like she wants to, but growing up nonetheless. She lost her first tooth at a firseside Sunday evening and we had to rush out of the room right before the opening song. People noticed, mostly because I was supposed to be playing it. She calmly came to me just as I was about to play the first intro with a tooth in hand and a bloody mouth. What grace and poise she displayed under the circumstances.


Adam is curious, busy, and full of intentional mischief. He is one of those kids that laughs and giggles all through his time outs, enjoying his punishments just as much as his rewards, which can be so aggravating to a mom. This little tease keeps me on my toes and just when I think he's gone berserk, he comes to give his mommy some much appreciated loves. He is so unpredictable, tiring, and fun.


Sweetly playing together.



Don't most kids watch the TV, not the dryer?


Being on the computer like Daddy, can you see him on the bed working by them?


Trying to make dinner fun, even without Dad.


Law School takes up so much more time and stress than his church calling...and balancing it all seems near to impossible sometimes. We get lonely for him, and we know he is lonely for us, so somehow that makes it easier not to complain.

When he is here, you can bet we are there with him!


"Just try to take a nap Dad!"


Tonight he is taking a midterm test. I'm glad my role is to support him from here he's out there taking the tests. Dinner is in the microwave and I'll look forward to my kiss on the cheek as I dream when he comes home tonight.

2 comments:

Jeff and Heidi said...

I LOVE your family! You guys are so cute. I'm sure Maylee would love to get together for a playdate with Adam.

Brittney said...

I MISS YOU GUYS!!! I seriously got teary eyed as i read through all your posts. You guys are an amazing family and an example to me and i miss seeing you guys. Do you want to get together some time this week? Sam gets out of school on Wed at 11:30 and i know you guys have school but maybe we could go to the park for a picnic or something! Let me know whatcha think!!! Thanks for the inspiring words!!