We attended a sealing for a friend, their baby was so happy and squealing with joy during the ceremony.
We started school when Daddy did.
Adam counted and sorted bears with me.
The new bookshelf in my bedroom made it possible for me to sell some furniture pieces on craig'slist. Not that anyone else cares, but for me they were like members of the family and a lot of work had gone into finding them for cheap and making them work. So goodbye black cabinet that I found for $20 at an estate sale and painted black. It held all our current daily homeschooling supplies and art supplies and because it had doors it often became a rat's nest inside. I sold it for $20.
Goodbye Ikea bookshelf that I found in the as is section for $40. Goodnight nobody. Goodnight mush. Just kidding, I love that book though. That book is on this shelf...which was a frustrating shelf when we started keeping toy bins on it because if you look closely it has molding on the sides. This prohibits pulling something straight off the shelf, you had to move toward the center and out to get around the molding, which means you can't fit two toy bins side by side even if there is technically room on the shelf...annoying. We moved the ugly bookshelf from my room into Adam's, ugly yet now functional, I'm thinking about painting it white like this one was. I sold it for $40. I kind of wish I'd sold them for higher based on the multitude of people interested in them. I could have made money on them, but I felt too guilty, that furniture was meant to be a good deal for me and the next guy.
I found the garbage can left like this after the truck left. It just really made me mad because I've been trying really hard to keep that can in operation. They have already broken one side of the hinge and I was very clever to fix it with a velcro strip I had that came with our bike pump so you can strap it to your bike. Now they snapped off the whole other side's plastic and ripped right through the velcro on the other side. I just knew the trash people were going to charge us extra for needing new containers and maybe me angry at my "negligence" so I called hesitantly. What a surprise that they were so happy to replace it, in fact made me aware that the sooner you replace them the better because they have a limited warranty from the manufacturer and it saves them so much money if you promptly report when they need replacement rather than trying to extend their life so long like I did. I actually cost them more money by doing so!
Back to kid stuff, the girls dressed Adam up as a "pirate" and took his picture, this is the first I've ever seen it. The frilly shirt reminds me of Nacho Libre, "These are my PJ's"..."A frilly shirt and slacks?"
We are working on our table manners.
Sometimes it's better not to push it, and just make a fort for a picnic lunch. It is still too hot for a real picnic.
We always love to give Dad a big send-off. We all help carry his breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, bishop book, scriptures, school books, backpack, and water to the car with him. Then the girls serenade with "So long, Farewell We hate to say goodbye!" I've told them over and over it's alvederzein, not we hate to say. Oh well.
In an effort to be "fun Mom" we made playdough. Adam made "cookies" and "snakes."
Sarah made a reinactment of Harry Potter's scene when baby Harry's parents are killed by Voldemort, wands and all.
Rachel made a cute little pot.
The last Friday of August we went to the Stake High Priest Dinner with our kids, but no one wanted to miss out on Tennis night, so we packed all the tennis gear and our church clothes to meet Dad at a facility downtown before the dinner. We get so hot and sweaty playing in the heat, but we did change our clothes. We hope no one was bothered by the sweaty couple at the edge of the gym...hmm. It was worth it, tennis night is so much fun, and though it took a good deal of planning, we pulled off both.
September started out waking up to this. What a nice surprise, but where is everyone?
Playing cars together as a family letting Mommy sleep in. Thank you!
It was Labor Day weekend and Daddy gets to swim with us! What a treat, let's head to the pool. Adam is always heavy laden as he walks to the pool because he wants to carry all his favorite floaties and toys. "I get to carry mine tuff," he says. Ok.
We found a ball in the bushes and played a water/volleyball-ish version of kickball with our hands. Very fun.
It's hard to let Daddy go to work again after a long weekend with him. We love to be with him so much.
We find ways to occupy ourselves...dress up in crazy outfits.
Make fun games with our toys.
Play with the neighbors dogs Molly and Bella.
Adam likes Bella.
We have friends over to play horsie with little brothers.
Or make a wagon train.
1
2
3
Sarah is enjoying increasingly rare snuggles from Adam. More swimming, what else do you do in an Arizonan summer?
Well, you should NOT take a field trip to the Deer Valley Rock Art Center. We were expecting a museum with rock art, art made from rocks. No, the outdoor rock exhibit is a hike just over a mile down a trail and back to see a few petroglyphs. Way too hot, and extremely hard to see. The "museum" part is the air conditioned building you pass through to pay for the hike and purchase overpriced lame jewelry. I'll plan our next field trip more carefully.
On the bright side, I have the cutest alarm clock ever.
All month the Primary prepared for our musical program on Sept. 11. I was so nervous about the adults seeing the way I lead the kids. I worried I may be a...spectacle, and I did hear about it afterwards, but at least I had the kids' attention. I was very glad when it was all over. I practiced a hard piece, for me, to play with the choir and was glad that turned out well and started teaching piano to 3 sisters in our ward ages 7, 9, and 12. I'm enjoying it very much and I think they are too. Sarah and Rachel like the opportunity to play with them while they wait for their turns.
We studied the planets and solar system. The kids were given the assignment to write a report about a planet of their choice on their own, I would help proofread only, all the research, writing and work had to be done alone. I was so proud of them. I required 2 pages of Sarah and 1 of Rachel with a Title page from each. They turned out very nice and they presented the reports orally to everyone Friday night before tennis in the garage in front of the to scale planets they had painted.
A short question answer session always follows where we ask what sparked their interest in the topic and other details about the subject matter, what was the most interesting/favorite thing they learned and so on. It was hot out their, we were glad they were short reports. We were very proud of them, and happy to see they were proud of themselves. We celebrated with tennis and of course shakes. What a great way to end our September.
No comments:
Post a Comment