Thursday, January 21, 2010

Choosing the Better Part

When presented with the question of how to use one's time as a mother, it is not always an easy choice. There is so much to do, I'm striving this year to prioritize. Recently I've made an effort to choose that which is most fleeting. Chores are a necessity, but can be done as children sleep (and more quickly when they are sleeping).

I did it. I identified a moment and made a good choice.


I dropped the girls off at a birthday party and had over an hour to spend with Adam. We almost went around doing returns and running errands, but I stopped to think what I would do if it were one of the girls alone with me. I knew I would ask them what they would choose to do in their special hour with mom. Though I know Adam can't answer that question in many words, I know him well enough I don't even need to ask. Park. We put down the car keys and strollered down to the park to play ball, throw airplanes, slide, run free, and be outside. I took a lot of joy that afternoon realizing that in choosing to please him instead of myself I was choosing the better part. Who would rather be in a return line at the store than at the park? Not Adam, not me.

No comments: